On the night of 11 / 12 March 1941, Halifax bombers went into action for the first time when aircraft from 35 Squadron bombed the docks at Le Havre. The following night the squadron took part in a raid on Hamburg, with the Halifax becoming the first of the four-engine ‘heavies’ to bomb Germany, nearly a year before its illustrious counterpart, the Lancaster, entered the fray.
In a fitting tribute, the Halifax taking centre stage in Robert’s masterwork drawing is one of the most famous ever built, an aircraft that successfully completed 128 operations with 158 Squadron, and survived. That Halifax, LV907, is better known as ‘Friday the 13th’.
Only 25 copies of this high quality giclée fine art print are available worldwide through the Military Gallery, Robert’s exclusive publisher. Each copy has been signed, numbered and hand-titled by Robert, personally autographed by Second World War Halifax aircrew, and issued mounted to full conservation standards. A completely unique TWELVE SIGNATURE collector’s piece to be cherished!
This includes biographies of all featured signatures, significant crew lists of ‘Friday the 13th’ and a full list of her 128 operations. Also enclosed in the presentation sleeve is an officially licensed faithful reproduction of a ‘Halifax Pilot & Flight Engineer Notes’ as issued by the Air Ministry during the war.
Joining artist Robert Taylor in signing every print are two highly regarded aircrew who flew Halifaxes with RAF Bomber Command during WWII:
- Flt Lt GEORGE DUNN DFC Ld’H – Pilot with 76 Sqn (pictured)
- W.O. HARRY WINTER – Wireless Operator/Air Gunner with 427 Sqn
Each print in this TWELVE signature composition is then matted to full conservation standards to include a museum-quality reproduction RAF sweetheart brevet and the original autographs of a further ten Halifax aircrew who flew on operations during the Second World War, including five who flew with 158 Squadron:
- W.O. HARRY IRONS DFC – Rear Gunner with 158 Sqn
- W.O. REX STATHAM – Flight Engineer with 158 Sqn
- Flt Lt FRED TUNSTALL DFC – Rear Gunner with 158 Sqn
- P.O. MAURICE SPIVEY DFM – Wireless Operator/Air Gunner with 158 Sqn
- Flt Lt JOE PETRIE-ANDREWS DFC DFM – Pilot with 102 & 158 Sqns
- W.O. LAURIE GODFREY – Wireless Operator/Air Gunner with 408 Sqn
- Air Cdr WILF BURNETT DSO OBE DFC AFC – Pilot with 138 Sqn
- Sqn Ldr PAT CARDEN DFC AE – Pilot with 35 Sqn
- Flt Lt ERIC BERNARD – Rear Gunner with 10 Sqn
- Flt Lt JAMES HAMPTON – Flight Engineer with 76 Sqn